You've Got Mail...

11:34 PM

So I get on these kicks where I pick one movie or tv show and it stays in my DVD player for weeks. For the longest time it was the Gilmore Girls, but we all must take a break from Stars Hollow now and again. As of late, I've been watching You've Got Mail. I remember seeing it in theaters. I was in college (during the time of dial-up internet), it came out in December right around my best friend April's birthday. Although I don't remember the exact year, I do remember which guy she was dating, but I will refrain from mentioning as he is insignificant in her life now. Anyway, the other day I was folding laundry while You've Got Mail played in the background and my ears perked up when I heard Meg Ryan say, "On my birthday, I wandered into the over-30 (chat)room as a joke..." I froze. Did she just say OVER 30? That means that me, along with several of my girlfriends are now catching up to our favorite movie characters! Eek! Not that I mind being in my 30's. So far it's served me well minus a few unmet dreams here and there. It's just weird.


The other observation I've recently made from several romantic comedies/dramas is that the main characters are typically in their 30's and not married. I'm not sure why but here in the South, most girls get married fairly young...at least by the time they graduate from college. I think about who I was when I was their age and I shudder. Not that I think they made a mistake by marrying so young, I just know for me I'm not the same girl I was at 22. I had a conversation with a friend today about someone he's close to who dated their boyfriend all through highschool and college and eventually married. He wondered if they really loved each other or if it was just the next logical step. I often wonder that about many couples. The thought of being alone forever is frightening, this I can attest to, but what I do know is that I would much rather be who I am on my own than in a relationship for the wrong reasons.

Well this blog has taken a different direction than I intended. It was really more of a pondering of age in movies and the hope that as a 32-year-old, I can be as refined and thoughtful as Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail. I leave early tomorrow morning for my final trip of the summer...New Orleans! Be back Tuesday!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images