Things I wasn't expecting....

8:24 AM

....Going thru the grief process after I got here. Yesterday was an emotional day for me, filled with excitement of starting something new, yet missing things and people back home. Luke and Lauren threw me a surprise "Welcome to Columbia" party last night. Thankfully they gave me an hour heads-up, which I was very grateful for. I'm an introvert, as most of you who know me well, know about me. Plus I wasn't feeling the greatest physically yesterday, so I think, Lauren, especially, was worried about me, but it was great meeting people from their church and wondering a year from now if I'll be connected to any of them beyond acquaintance level.


Today I'm venturing out into Columbia on my own to pick up some things and maybe go by my new store. Surprisingly I didn't drink any coffee from Starbucks yesterday. That's a record, I think. I've been missing April a lot, remembering our first days in Lexington together, exploring, getting lost, discovering our favorite restaurants and shops. I forgot how much I enjoyed having that security, knowing I wasn't alone moving to a new place. After living in Chicago after college, I remember how vitally important Community is for me, even if it's only one or two people. I'm realizing now how good it truly is living with the Syferts these first couple of months. I have a support system right outside my bedroom door that challenges me to not hole up inside myself, which is what my survival mode tells me to do, and actually go out and find that Community I need to truly survive in life.

Thanks to those of you who have been checking in on me periodically. So grateful for avenues such as Facebook, Twitter, and cell phones that allow my worldwide Community to always be close.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images