Are fairy tales for real?

3:50 PM

Last night I babysat 2 precious little girls that I've known since they were born in KY when we all still lived there. They are your typical little girls, into pink, pretending they're princesses (which they are), and fairy tales. As we snuggled up on the couch to watch Cinderella, I couldn't help but roll my eyes and wonder if watching these types of movies isn't toxic. I know that sounds a little harsh and I may be a little cynical, but nonetheless, it got me thinking. Why are all Disney movies about happily ever afters? Even grown-up romance flicks generally have that same message. Don't get me wrong...I love them and tend to watch them multiple times if I find one that I really like. At the same time, as much as they're meant to be "feel good" movies, I often leave the theater feeling...empty and alone and wondering when I'll find my "happily ever after." I'll usually recluse myself into my own little world and ponder my past relationships. To top the evening off, the girls kept asking me why I'm not married. That's never an easy question to answer, but especially to 2 little girls who didn't seem to accept any of my answers. My friend, April, suggested that I tell them that smart women don't get married because it's too much work:) The truth is most relationships are not like the fairy tales depicted by Disney or other movies. But as I was praying about it, something occurred to me. We are a part of one fairy tale relationship; one that will give us that happily ever after we so long for. Sometimes I don't understand the way he works, but I know that Jesus is crazy about me and wants so much to rescue me like Prince Charming. Maybe this is what we can teach little girls when they get wrapped up into their own fairy tales and wonder if their Prince Charming will come for them one day.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images