travels, part 2.

12:01 PM

After we got back from California, I went on a "silent" retreat at St. Joseph Abbey in Covington, LA. I enjoyed sharing this with people because for the most part, everyone thought I was crazy! 2 complete days of silence! I, however, was excited and yes, a little nervous. I don't really like to stay in my head too long, but it did turn out to be an insightful time of praying and reading and sleeping! Yes, I chose to spend a good portion of my time sleeping. We had a schedule but following it was optional...that's my kind of retreat:) Below are 2 pictures of the chapel. We were invited to Eucharist and Vespers and really any of the prayer times that the monks participated in each day. It's quite a way of life down there!

The book that our devotions came from each day was called Seven Sacred Pauses by Macrina Wiederkehr. The whole concept is remembering to pause seven times throughout the day. It doensn't have to be anything extensive: a walk around the office, a cup a coffee, a few moments of stillness...anything that allows you to just pause in your day to regroup and refocus on who God is. I wish I could say that I've brought this practice back to my everyday life. I'm still working on it. I will say that those moments when I feel my most stressed during the day, Macrina comes to mind and I at least pause for a second:)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images